Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wizard of Oz

My degree is in Theatre, Music and English and involvement in local theatre is how my husband and I met. Over the summer, I did a production of “Footloose.” Tim brought the boys to visit me at a music rehearsal. Sean (who has PDD-NOS) sat down and started singing the alto part with us. He knew it better than some of the altos! He had learned it just from overhearing me practice at home. I saw this as a sign (in addition to being told he loves karaoke at school) that he might be ready to do his first show.




The Beverly Hills University Club Scholarship Foundation is an 80+ year old charity of which I am on the board of directors. They do an annual musical as their primary fundraiser. This year’s production was “Wizard of Oz.” I helped Sean prepare for his audition. He sang “Itsy Bitsy Spider.” He did so well he was called back to read for speaking roles and was cast as a Munchkin and in the Lollipop Guild.



He did very well at music rehearsals. He could sit and sing for 2 ½ - 3 hours and not lose focus. He had a harder time with rehearsals where staging was involved and they would run the Munchkinland scene several times. The cast and creative staff were very welcoming and understanding towards Sean. He was allowed to take sensory breaks when he needed to. Honestly, the Munchkinland scene is quite long for a little kid to stay focused, autism or not. He did much better once we were doing run-throughs of the show and he only had to do his scene once a night. The director had him staged where he could leave the scene without disruption if he needed to and I was waiting in the wings for him every night in case that happened. I was nervous “tech week” because I was afraid the lights, costumes, orchestra and sound system might be overwhelming for him sensory-wise, but he was a champ.
 
He made a point every night to go up to each actor and tell them they did a great job. He wanted everyone to feel good about themselves and they were all really touched by that. He did great performance-wise and behavior-wise and everyone was so proud of him, especially our family and all the school staff that came to support him! Sixteen of his teachers and therapists came to the show.  They sent a laminated 8x10 with all their photos and a photo of Sean, telling him how proud they were of him.  Considering he could barely speak before he came to the autism program at his school, this was huge for him.  I'm glad the staff were able to enjoy the fruits of their hard work. 
 
Children with autism respond to music, visual art and theatre as far as social interaction and expressing emotion.  I also think it's important for parents, not just autism parents, to try to incorporate kids into your life outside of the home.  Sean's teacher says it's amazing what our kids can do with some hard work, a little help and a lot of patience! Sean can’t wait to do another show!

3 comments:

Jen Lenihan said...

♪.•°♫°•.♪ I'm so glad I was able to be a small part of the production and see Sean shine! He was an absolute joy! I found him to be social with people, when another child fell and actually went over to help her and check to see how she was, he was courteous and when some of us caught him singing and he caught on, he put on a wonderful little show while singing his ABCs! He has come such a long way and is quite the little man! I know you and Tim are proud of him, just like the rest of us are! Bravo Sean! <3 ♪.•°♫°•.♪

Peter James said...

What a wonderful story! I wish I had been able to get out to see the show. What a wonderful idea for a blog!

Unknown said...

He was so good in the Wizard of Oz, really amazing progress that he's made! That's so sweet that he was congratulating the others every night!