Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Noise


Noise – When I was single and living alone, I hated silence.  I would leave the tv or radio on 24/7 when there weren’t people around. I really do like the fact that I have a husband and kids now, even though my kids are smelly and trash everything we own and having a stylish home is a distant memory.  I had some really cute apartments, really I did!

This morning, I awakened to Todd kicking his bedroom door.  Who needs an alarm?  Silly me, I always set the clock for 8 a.m. or so, as if I’m not going to be awakened by the pounding at 5:45.

We have a new neighbor moving in upstairs.  She has no idea what’s in store.  I hope she’s not a “police caller” like the next-door renters.  A comment on that: I believe you call the police if a crime is happening or imminent, or there’s been an accident.  I have only called 911 twice in my life, once when I was in a car accident and once when I witnessed a car accident.  I don’t understand the audacity of calling police because you’re annoyed by a child.  That seems to me a waste of taxpayer money.

Now I’m listening to Todd slamming the cabinet doors of the entertainment center.  He already busted out the back of the entertainment center weeks ago.  And yes, it was only purchased less than a year ago. Ah, the hyposensory child.  The last police officer that came a-calling was so confused when I tried to explain what "hyposensory" is.

I’m also listening to Sean sing at the top of his lungs to Veggie Tales, which he is blasting at full volume.  I enjoy listening to him sing, but I really need to go in there and have him turn it down before he blows the speakers.  A few years ago, we went through a phase where he blew out 3 sets of computer speakers in a matter of months.

I see my nosy neighbor across the courtyard peeping through her blinds at the boys and she thinks I can't see her. She looks like Paula Deen, so we call her Peeping Paula. I always wave and she ducks away from her window.  One of these days, I swear I'm going to flash my boobs.  Nah, I won't, but it would serve her right! 

I gave them some Goldfish crackers. My dad always buys them the big box of rainbow-colored Goldfish. I think that’s such a cute Grandpa thing to do. I remember my Papa always brought me jelly orange slices and spearmint leaves.  Todd, of course, has lined up all Goldfish according to color.  If Sean inadvertently disturbs the order somehow, there will be blood.  I’m not kidding.   Those rainbow Goldfish also make for some interesting-colored diaper changes, yes, believe me, I know that's gross.

I think they’re bored.  Summer school starts Monday, not soon enough! Maybe I’ll take them to McDonald’s later.  I wish I could take them someplace better, like Montmartre! Someday I will and I can’t wait to see how they react to that creative and beautiful place.

Just went in the kitchen.  Todd peeled off the duct tape we put on the broken stove door.  He’s alternating between trying to slam that, the fridge door and the dishwasher door.  I think some melatonin may be in order.  Whenever I tell him no, he just hugs me and stops what he’s doing for a few minutes.

I always know he’s up to something when he closes the door of whatever room I’m in, so I then know I have to check on whatever he’s doing – yep, back to slamming the entertainment center cabinets.

Sometimes when I write about the kids, I look back at what I wrote and think it must look like I have a stressful life.  True, there is stress, but I’m actually happier than I’ve been in decades.  Sometimes I’m stormy, but most of the time, I’m content. Granted, I could use a lot more money than I currently have.  Having special needs kids has given me new passion and sent me down new paths – I have learned and continue to learn so much. I hope none of this sounds pretentious. I believe becoming a special needs mom was a gift from the universe and I hope I can use that gift properly.

1 comment:

Linda Sullivan said...

I love this post-that you are the happiest you've been for years. Also like that Todd gives you a hug when you tell him "No" (and before he resumes what you don't want him to do.