Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Peeks Through the Window

Todd's thing this morning was turning on the kitchen sink, pouring water into cups and bowls and subsequently dumping the water onto the counters and floor.  On the up side, the kitchen is now quite clean.  While I was mopping, I had Todd go to his room.  He was mad, so repeatedly kicked the door to show his displeasure.  This door and wall kicking is a constant source of the police being called. 
 
When I finished mopping, I went to Todd's room to try to redirect him to stop kicking the door.  I saw our neighbor across the courtyard hanging out her window, on the phone and pointing at Todd's bedroom window.  I think she fancies herself a neurology expert.  My husband calls her Peeping Paula because she looks like Paula Deen, no offense to Paula, who I understand is a lovely woman.
 
I really wish my neighbors calling the police would make my kids stop having autism.  Is that what they think?  The police have magical powers to stop repetitive behaviors and stimming?  I wish they did.  Oh no, that's right, they call the police simply because I'm a bad mother and I could easily stop the kids from being autistic at any given time.  I wish I had those magical powers!
 
In the meantime, Sean peed on my bed and two of my pillows, of course, my expensive memory foam pillow was the one most soaked. Sean is consequently suspended from computer privileges as a result.  So now instead, he is playing with his trains and making a high pitched train whistle sound over and over.  At least Todd is in his room being quiet.  I caved and gave Todd a chewable melatonin.  I try to dole those out conservatively because I don't want him to build up a tolerance.  The dose he gets is pediatrician-approved, 2 tabs to go to sleep, 1 tab as a chill pill.  I usually love Dr. Oz, but the hubs and I were annoyed by a recent episode about melatonin, how bad it is.  Just think relaxing thoughts and you'll go to sleep!  While perhaps and probably there are many people out there who take it too much and give their children too much, sorry, it's been a Godsend in this household.
I just took a shower a few hours ago, but now I feel slimy and sticky.  I woke up with a sinus headache, now I can barely see.  Thank God for coffee.  This season in the Midwest has been terrible for hay fever.  I haven't had sinus pain like this in decades.
 
Yesterday afternoon, I had an awful headache.  I started to doze on the couch.  My husband insisted I go into the bedroom, but Todd just cried outside the door the entire time I was in there.  I just gave up and went back to my day.  In the future, I hope he just lets me be on the couch.
 
We have rehearsal at 2 this afternoon for Music Man.  Theatre has proven to be very good for Sean.  He's very musical and the structure of being in a play really helps him as far as behavior, social skills, focus.  I feel bad about leaving Todd at home, but he can't handle it at this point.  I hope someday he can in some capacity.  Older autistic children of other theatre friends have helped backstage, helped with raffle baskets, tickets. Thank the Lord for Dr. Theatre!  Better than any prescription or therapy we could ask for! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw the ad for the Dr. Oz thing, claiming that woman was overdosing on melatonin. How does he know? The FDA has an approved dose so I don't know where he comes off questioning it. Melatonin is one of the rare herbals the FDA actually has some data on.