Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Article from Age of Autism & Comments

The below article struck me.  Most days I'm full of sunshine and positive energy in regard to my family's ongoing battle, but there are other days when I get angry.  I love the "Age of Autism" website, where the article appears.
 
I saw my first negative comment on this blog yesterday.  It had to do with an innocuous detail in one of my posts that had absolutely nothing to do with autism or anything that this blog is about.  It was also cowardly signed "anonymous."  I won't honor the comment by repeating it and it has been deleted.  Wow, really?  If someone is concerned about the details and not the substance of what I'm writing, why are they reading?  But enough on that asinine person...
 
I am honest and fair with everything I write.  I can't lie because not telling the truth would be a betrayal of myself and why I started writing in the first place, which is why I love the honesty of the "Age of Autism" site.  I came across this site after reading "All I Can Handle" by Kim Stagliano.  Kim doesn't candy coat anything.  One of my favorite analogies of hers concerns an autism awareness ad:  A beautiful, well-dressed little boy standing in what looks like a nice suburban cul de sac.  He's sad because he can't play baseball with the other children.  If it was a real portrayal of autism kids, they should show a messy bedroom, mattress on the floor with sheets pulled off, holes in the drywall, poop smeared on the walls - that's more like my kids' room!
 
Anyway, the article below is an honest expression of some of the emotions we on this autism rollercoaster experience.

http://www.ageofautism.com/2012/09/forgive-and-forget.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ageofautism+%28AGE+OF+AUTISM%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

No comments: