Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Cleveland, Ohio Part 1 - corrected contact info

Went to attend a family reunion with the two autistic kids and without the husband who couldn't get away from work.  5 1/2 hour drive from Chicago to Cleveland, but we've made the 4 1/2 hour drive to the Wisconsin Dells, so no biggie, right?


We dealt with the usual - my non-verbal ASD little guy trying to wriggle out of his seatbelt the whole way there and I spent a good amount of time wrestling with him to get him back in his seatbelt every time he tried to be an escape artist.  In his defense, one of my cousins said that his son, who is not autistic, got out of his seat belt several times on their way to Cleveland from Virginia.


Haven't been bothered by insensitive police in a while.  When I saw the lights, we assumed it was because my brother was speeding a bit  Nope.  Trooper Ladonna Klocinski of the Ohio State Police had seen me struggling to get Todd back into his seatbelt (not sure how since we have tinted windows).  When she pulled us over, he (autistic kids are robotic with routines) - the car was stopped, so he started to take off his seatbelt.  When she looked in the back, the shoulder part of the belt was off his shoulder. I tried to explain that he's autistic, I've been trying to keep his belt on the entire trip, and that when we stopped, he automatically thought it was time to take his belt off.  She stared at me blankly and then said that makes no sense. Officer Ladonna is obviously an autism expert! He wasn't in a booster because he rocks himself out of it and has actually opened the door while the car is moving a few times. She scolded me for that and also scolded me that the seat belt must have been rubbing his neck and bothering him and said to him in a singsong voice, "that's bothering you, isn't it? Mommy won't help you?" He just stared ahead.  I didn't explain that he's non-verbal, just hoped she'd think he was ignoring her for being such an insensitive witch. 


We got a ticket for no child restraints.  Now my older son is once again afraid of police and would never approach an officer if he needed help. Thanks, Officer Ladonna!  You're so good at your job! Apparently it's okay with the Ohio state police department to harass special needs parents and terrorize special needs kids.  No Officer Friendly in Ohio, you get Officer Ladonna!  Yes, I'm being sarcastic because it always blows me away when I yet again meet a completely insensitive jerk.  Anyway...I will post more later on the actual trip.  Just wanted to vent about this because I know my fellow special needs parents endure this crap from people of all walks of life and if you went through something similar today, I want you to know you're not alone.

Addendum - I was originally informed to contact Officer MacDonald in Maumee - he states he has received numerous emails and phone calls regarding this incident - the correct person to contact is:  Lt. Fisher with the Ohio State Police - 419-826-5871, email vefisher@dps.state.oh.us.  The officer in question is named Ladonna Klocinski. 

Thank you all - I am overwhelmed and touched by all the support I have received.

No comments: