Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Facebook pages - observations.


I have joined various Facebook pages relative to autism parents/families/caregivers.  It’s a great resource for networking, getting ideas, helping others, even if that help is just a sympathetic ear of someone who’s been through the same thing.

There’s an interesting phenomenon that occurs all across Facebook.  We’ve all seen it.  It’s most common around election times.  Someone makes a comment or a statement and it erupts into this massive debate between friends, friends of friends who don’t know each other and these debates sometimes get ridiculously ugly.  It’s interesting the things people will say in print that they would never say to someone’s face.  Communicating with a keyboard can bring out strange things in people.  Some subtle nuance, whether intended or not, hits a nerve in someone and the fireworks begin.  I have also seen these debates erupt over seemingly innocuous topics such as waitressing.  I have unintentionally set off fireworks with a seemingly innocuous topic.  This is not a judgment of anyone who gets caught up in these debates, it’s just an interesting phenomenon that they happen. 

 

I have also seen this happen on FB pages I frequent for funny and/or inspirational quotes and pictures.   Something someone says or implies just blows up into something. 

 

I’m sad to see this happen sometimes on our autism support sites.  I saw one happen yesterday over safety harnesses, also known as kid leashes.  In general, it's a controversial topic. (Anyone see the "Modern Family" episode where this was addressed?  Hilarious!) One person made the old “why can’t you just control your child” statement, which is a sore spot for us special needs parents, then was surprised, “why is everyone being mean to me, I’m entitled to my opinion,” etc.  As special needs parents, we know better than most that every child is different and we need to support each other – certainly not judge each other.

 

I have befriended fellow autism parents, as well as adults and young people with autism through these pages.  The young people are especially fascinating to me – part of them is still a child, which I completely relate to given I have two kids on the spectrum.  It gives me a window of perspective into the future as far as my kids are concerned.

No comments: