Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Opening Night Arts Group


Although I'm posting about a holiday show after the holidays, it's never too late to celebrate progress.  Opening Night Arts Group is a theatre company in the South Suburbs of Chicago that donates its proceeds primarily to charity; benefitting a different charity with each show. Sean joined his father and I performing in “Scrooge & Marley” in December.  This is an annual production and the majority of the adult actors reprise their roles every year, so only a few rehearsals are scheduled.  I play Mrs. Cratchit every year and my husband usually plays Mr. Fezziwig and Old Joe, but this year played Marley, who is the narrator in this version.

 Sean had three lines this time around.  All his lines were such that someone could prompt him as he was entering the stage or appropriately ad-lib a prompt. 

 I was concerned initially about the intimate setting of the theater at Trinity College – it is not only small, but also in the round.  I recommended to our friends and family to sit further back.  The stage area is at floor level, not raised.  The front row is literally a few feet away from the actors.  I was afraid he would see someone he knew and break character by either running to them or talking to them. J

 New group and new theater for him, but as usual, the theatre kids were accepting and welcoming.  As usual, his progress never ceases to amaze me.  The arts are truly a beautiful thing for ASD kids.

 

No comments: