Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cavatappi


My husband and I had the rare luxury of a date night and went to Cavatappi at 3020 West 95th Street in Evergreen Park, Illinois. (http://www.cavatappirestaurant.com/)  In a previous incarnation, this restaurant was called Mulchrone’s – Mulchrone’s was where we had our wedding reception almost nine years ago.

 

I went to Cavatappi for a theatre cast party about a year ago.  We had the entire front of the restaurant to ourselves and I enjoyed the food, served banquet-style.  I didn’t drink that night, but they had a comprehensive wine list and my friends enjoyed the chocolate martinis.

 

On our date night, there was a wine tasting going on at the restaurant.  It appears they have a wine tasting about once a month.  It was not separate from the dining room – patrons were encouraged to try some wine, then the sommelier would come around and ask for feedback and to choose another sample for the guests.

 

The meal we had was perfect, no exaggeration.  Italian food is not usually my first choice when we got out because I make a lot of Italian food at home.  When we go out, I usually prefer either something exotic or dishes that are so complicated to make, I wouldn’t bother making them at home.  However, there’s something to be said for simple dishes done very well with fresh, quality ingredients.  That was the case at Cavatappi.  Our salads were perfect – my husband had a basic house salad with a balsamic vinaigrette and my salad was mixed greens with thinly sliced red and white beets, big pieces of goat cheese, almonds and a Dijon vinaigrette.  We ordered basic entrees that were done very well – I had ravioli and my husband ordered lasagna.  For dessert, I had tiramisu and my husband had chocolate chip cheesecake, both fantastic.

 

I may bring my special needs kids to this restaurant.  There are items on the menu my kids would eat, bread, fried things, chicken, cheesy pasta, dessert (there are gluten-free options for those who go that route). It’s not a super-quiet restaurant, which would be a good thing, and there’s not much in the way of breakables for the kids to knock over.  The tables are also far apart enough that I wouldn’t have to worry about the kids grabbing things off other people’s tables or knocking their drinks over. J

 

No comments: