Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Turning Point


I’ve been watching a show called “Turning Point” that airs in my area on BYU, the Brigham Young University channel.  I’m not sure why we get that channel here in Chicago, but they have several shows I enjoy.

I often do a topic search through my DVR for any programming to do with autism.  That was how I came across the show “Turning Point” and the BYU channel.  The first episode I saw was about a surfer dad of an autistic boy who started a surfing/wakeboarding experience for autistic kids.  As those of us in the autism community know, any sensory experience can trigger a breakthrough – theatre, water, music, horses, whatever may work, right?

I taped more episodes of “Turning Point.”  One recent episode was about a woman who opened a home to rescue women from prostitution and other abusive situations.  This endeavor turned into a company called Thistle Farms.  The women are trained to make bath and body products, candles and scented oils. The skills they learn there – creating beautiful things – a metaphor for how they are empowered to take their lives in a positive direction toward a better life.

The episode I saw this morning blew me away.  It’s about a product called Eagle Eyes.  The product is designed for people with severe physical limitations.  Electrodes are attached around the eyes.  Eye movements cause a computer mouse to move and click.  This enables the kids/adults to communicate in ways never before possible. The training begins with very basic computer games and eventually they are able to create sentences.   A boy showcased in the story who had the physical abilities of a three-month-old was actually able to gain his high school diploma because this technology allowed him to participate in schoolwork.

The joy in the eyes of the children and their mothers was so lovely.  Below are a few links to more information on Eagle Eyes and Thistle Farms.
http://www.thistlefarms.org/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, too, discovered BYUTV the same way-they were showing Disney's version of "The Music Man" (w/Matthew Broderick/Kristin Chenoweth). They show alot of musical movies especially the Disney reboots!!! Then I caught an episode of "Turning Point". What an inspiring and emotionally powerful show! I try to catch it everytime it is on!