Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween 2012 Part 2


You know those moms who meticulously plan every detail of their child’s costume starting in September?  I’m not that mom.  I wish I was that woman who handwrites lovely thank you notes in a timely fashion and brings appropriately-themed hostess gifts to every gathering.  I’m not and neither was my mother.  Those women must know about a secret eighth day of the week that the rest of us don’t know about and that’s where they find the time to be all Martha Stewart.  Sean wore a Spiderman costume for his first Halloween that I bought online.  Second year, Todd joined us and the boys were the Scarecrow and Lion, costumes bought online.  Next, Sean was Thomas the Train (bought on the Thomas website) and Todd was his engineer – found blue and white striped overalls, a red bandana for his neck and a blue cap. 

 

The following year, I was way ahead.  Every August, we go to the Day Out with Thomas at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois.  Nearby, there is an old-school theme park called Wild West Town.  Those cheesy low-budget theme parks are a rarity these days and that’s a shame.  I was sad when Kiddieland in Melrose Park, Illinois closed.  At least I got to bring my kids to Kiddieland once.  Anyway, in the gift shop of Wild West Town, they had little Civil War uniforms.  I bought one gray and one blue.  On Halloween, I just drew makeup mustaches and beard stubble on them and that was that.

 

This year, Sean decided he wasn’t afraid of Halloween and wanted to dress up at about 9:00 p.m. on October 30th.  I was still skeptical, knowing he could easily change his mind by the time the bus arrived at 7:30 a.m. on October 31st. 

 

Thank God for my friend Julie who gave me a bunch of costumes and accessories that her children outgrew.  This was in the summer of 2011.  This collection has saved my butt in providing me with costume options for my kids two years in a row now.  Yes, I put together their costumes Halloween morning.  Last year, Sean was also afraid until Halloween morning and Todd was having texture issues in regard to clothing.  Last year, Sean agreed to be Woody from Toy Story at the last minute and in the costume collection, I also found a soft gown, hat and a wand, so Todd was Mickey the Wizard from Fantasia. Back to this year.  First, I made sure Sean was still up for wearing a costume.  He was.  Yay!  I found a velvet jacket, black knickers, a pirate hat and a hook.  Captain Hook!  He was thrilled because he currently loves “Jake and the Neverland Pirates” on Disney Junior.  He also said his teachers would be “so excited to see my costume!” Todd was amiable to a costume as well.  I found bits and pieces of pirate wear and pieces of what appeared to be a Mulan costume, so Todd was a pirate-ninja hybrid.  He’s non-verbal, but was in high spirits – giggling and flapping all the way to the school bus, so I know he was happy.

 

Even if they weren’t going to wear costumes, I bought four bags of candy to send for the school Halloween party.  I also bought festive-colored baggies and sticker tags to put together gift bags.  I was so tired the night before and since we were throwing costumes together that morning, I just put the unopened bags in their backpacks.  I felt like such a terrible non-Martha Stewart mom! 

 

They had a great party at school and went trick-or-treating around the school building to different classrooms and offices. 

 

Tim and the kids picked me up at the train that evening.  They love watching the train pull in and then see me getting off the train.  When my train leaves our station, Sean says, “the train is now taking the nudders to their home, then going to sleep at Tidmouth Sheds.” 

 

They had a motherload of candy.  They were allowed to eat some and the rest was hidden to be doled out gradually.  Sean has a habit of literally eating (anything, not just candy) until he makes himself sick, so you need to cut him off.

 

After dinner (pizza and tater tots, two of their favorite things), we all watched “Addams Family Values,” “The Simpsons” and “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”  The kids think that Snoopy is hilarious and especially enjoyed the Red Baron sections of that tv special.

 

The upside of not putting up decorations this year is I don’t have any to take down today.  On to Thanksgiving.  I refuse to put up anything Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.  I refuse to skip over that holiday.  What a wonderful holiday that’s all about gratitude for the blessings in our lives!  Since I didn’t get to decorate for Halloween, I may go a little crazy with turkey and Pilgrim decorations this year.  We are spending Thanksgiving in the Wisconsin Dells this year at the Chula Vista Resort.  Since we will be eating at a restaurant on Thanksgiving Day, I will be cooking a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at our place Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.

 

A blessed November to all!  I will continue to post on events as they occur! Thanks for reading! J

1 comment:

Lara C. Heritage said...

Just want you to know, I read all your posts and I just want to say how in AWE I am of you and how strong you are. Not to mention what a WONDERFUL, PATIENT mother you are as well. WOW! WOW! You just can do it all Eileen can't you!Hope to see you and Tim soon!