Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween 2012 Part 1


Well, here we are again in November.  Where do the months go?  Yesterday, I reflected on Halloweens past.  When I was a kid, my mom would make my costume.  She loved the fact that whatever character I chose to be, I wanted the glamour angle.  If I was a witch, it had to be a glamorous witch.  If I was a gypsy, I had to be a beautiful, glamorous gypsy.  I also loved girly-girl choices like can-can girl, princess, queen, Princess Leia, ballerina.  All three kids in my family were bunnies for our first Halloween.  Mom would just sew a puff tail on a blanket sleeper and sew ears onto a hat.  Done!  We’re still in our condo that won’t sell, so we never have any trick or treaters.  There’s also no sidewalk on most of our street, so we have to drive the kids to trick or treat, usually to the homes of family and friends. 

 

Last year Sean was scared of some things Halloween.  This year he was scared of all things Halloween.  He wouldn’t let me put up our usual decorations and orange lights.  I tried to tell him wearing a Halloween costume is no different from when he wears a costume in a play.  Nope.  Couldn’t even bribe him with the promise of candy and other treats.  He has, however, been enjoying the Halloween-themed episodes of his favorite shows on Nick and Disney Junior.  He even enjoyed a series featuring a ghost named Spookly (reminiscent of Casper the Friendly Ghost) and his friend the Square Pumpkin.

 

This past weekend (and this coming weekend, stay tuned for shameless plug to follow in another post), my husband, Sean and I were (are) in a production of “Music Man.  After the Sunday matinee last week, there was a Halloween-themed cast party.  I was worried.  We got there and Sean was completely mesmerized by the decorations.  “Mommy, look at this place! I love the Halloween party!”  All of a sudden, Halloween was okay.  That is, until we got home.

No comments: