Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

We're not the only ones

Our sitter last night commented on Todd’s obsession with banging doors, cabinets, etc. She was curious if our neighbors have ever asked us about the noise or made any complaints.  I filled her in.




She previously told me about an autistic boy she babysat for many years. This child’s parents could not handle caring for him, so he was in the custody of his grandmother. She stopped watching him when he had to be moved to a group home as a teenager. Physically he became too much for his aging grandmother to handle.



Anyway, after I told her about our neighbors, she told me about how the grandmother’s neighbors would call the police all the time. The boy was not only noisy with banging like Todd, he was also a screamer. I can understand initially a neighbor not understanding the situation and suspecting abuse and calling once, but after knowing the reason for the noise and screaming…to keep calling the police? What is with people?



My sitter said the grandmother’s response to police was the same I usually give, “What more can I do?” I want to meet this grandmother someday so I can give her a big hug.

No comments: