Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Brown sugar, Goldfish & wayward trucks

Something new every day. I keep the brown sugar in a Tupperware container. Todd’s never been tempted by it before. This morning, there was brown sugar everywhere and of course, 15 minutes before the scheduled arrival of the school bus. I can’t get mad at him. He truly doesn’t understand.




The trigger for Sean this morning was Goldfish crackers. I saw that Sean still had some peanut butter-cheese crackers in his backpack, so I figured that would suffice for snack today. I put Goldfish in Todd’s backpack. Yes, I usually give them the exact same thing to avoid conflict, but there was just to time to spare today after the brown sugar incident. Sean wanted Goldfish, but I told him to just live with what he had in his backpack because the bus was waiting outside.



That set off the fit of all fits. He threw his shoes at me. I had to literally drag him onto the bus. The bus driver was as dumbfounded as I was – Sean usually gets on the bus no problem. He loves the bus. Todd is generally the one who has to be dragged kicking and biting onto the bus. Once on the bus, Sean got away from the aide, ran off the bus and directly into the path of a work truck that was pulling into our driveway. I screamed and the truck stopped. I don’t think they would have seen him otherwise.



Went back inside, sweaty and out of breath and in a hurry to catch the train downtown.



When I switched my hours to accommodate Tim and the kids’ schedules (I go in at 10 a.m. these days), one woman pulled me aside: “Admit it, you just want to sleep in.” All I could do was laugh!



Ahh, a typical morning on the spectrum! So, so happy to go to work!

No comments: