Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

New Orleans

I stayed at the Comfort Suites downtown. I’ve also stayed at the Wyndham Whitney Hotel on It was Everclear and juice. A staple of Bourbon Street is Pat O’Brien’s, great Hurricanes, Mint Juleps and they have a flaming fountain. Poydras in the downtown area.

The action is all on Bourbon Street, but I’ve found that I actually prefer to get away from the heat of all that and stay in a hotel downtown. Bourbon Street is still walking distance or a short cab ride.

A staple of Bourbon Street is Pat O’Brien’s, great Hurricanes, Mint Juleps and they have a flaming fountain.

The food is amazing. I’m someone who loves spicy food & I love Cajun and Creole. There’s plenty of good food for those who like it mild, too. One of the best meals I have ever had was at Nola, one of Emeril’s restaurants. The restaurant called “Emeril’s” in New Orleans is very touristy and always crowded. Nola is lesser known and off the beaten path, but it has the same Emeril quality, it was excellent.

Café du Monde is the best place to get a beignet, which is a little fried donut. Café du Monde also has great hot chocolate and chicory, which is a smooth-flavored coffee-type drink.

Be careful of the local drinks. They are often fruity and don’t taste like they contain as much alcohol as they actually do. My friend and I went into a bar one night and asked if they had a house special. After downing one, we asked what was in it. It was Everclear and juice. I love going on ghost tours. If a city has one, I’m there. New Orleans has several good ones. There’s also a vampire tour that’s even better.

New Orleans is best known for jazz and Dixieland-type music, but you can find all types of great bands playing, mainly on Bourbon Street.

I haven’t been back there since Katrina, but I hope to within the next few years. From what I’ve heard, the main tourist areas are back to normal.

No comments: