Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

London

London, England. It may take a few posts for me to relay everything I have to share about this city, one of my favorites in the whole world.  I have yet to find the bravery to take my boys on a transatlantic flight, considering they could barely handle flying to Miami.

London is truly the New York of Europe. It’s a blend of cultures with a mix of the old and the new in every sense.

Going to England is very expensive these days since the dollar is so weak. As recent as 15 years ago, the best way to convert money was by using traveler’s checks. A few years back, I went to England with my dad, who had not been to Europe for roughly 30 years. He brought traveler’s checks and whenever he tried to use them, the vendor would look at him like he had two heads. About 10 years ago, the best exchange rate was at a place called Thomas Price. They’re still around, but nowadays the best exchange rate is at the ATM machine. Be careful of any fees your bank may charge. My bank charges 2%, so if you take out ₤100, which is approximately $185, the fee would be about $3.60.

Fly into Heathrow if you can. I’ve flown into Stansted and Gatwick, but Heathrow is the most convenient to the city. There’s also a City Airport and Luton Airport. The Heathrow Express train will take you to either Victoria Station or Paddington Station. This train is cheaper than taking a cab into the city. I’ve been told by native Londoners that once in the city, only take black cabs. There are others that may not be licensed.

On to lodging. London is pricey, but you can find bargains. I like staying in the Kensington neighborhood. It’s very nice with reasonably priced hotels. Many of them are smallish, about 3 or 4 floors with a whitewashed façade, very London-y, in my opinion. There’s a Holiday Inn in that area that I really like. Kensington is convenient to most of the touristy areas and there are tube stops nearby. I strongly recommend taking the Tube. It’s London’s subway system and it is very easy to take. You can download a map at their website.

There are a ton of touristy things to do in London. Where can I start? I strongly recommend for any major city taking a tour on a hop-on, hop-off bus. In London, they have several carriers and you can catch the bus at Victoria Station.

Big Ben is a world landmark you must see and the architecture of Parliament is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. Westminster Abbey, save half a day for that. Westminster Cathedral, the main Catholic church of London, has the actual remains of St. John Southworth in a glass case. He was a Catholic priest who was drawn and quartered for celebrating Mass during the reign of Elizabeth I. There is an area where you can make brass rubbings, interesting frameable art to bring home.

St. Paul’s Cathedral is majestic. The dome is gorgeous. You can go up in the dome to an area called the Whispering Gallery. It’s called that because if you whisper against the wall, it can be heard on the other side of the dome. This is the church where Diana and Charles were married. Martin Luther King preached here in 1964. After silence for most of the war, the bells rang out in 1945 to celebrate the liberation of Paris. In 1940, the cathedral was the target of a blitz attack, but the dome remained intact, now considered a symbol of British strength and resilience.

More to come!

No comments: