Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Graziano's - West Loop

When the weather is nice, I make the time to explore the neighborhood around my office, trying food from restaurants I've never been to.

I subscribe to a million email newsletters (information junkie) and this morning, I came across this one:

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago/best-native-chicago-sandwiches-will-special-cemitas-italian-beef-and-more?ref=twitter-869

Most of the sandwiches look really good, although I was disappointed they didn't include the Freddie from Calabria on the South Side.  Jeff Mauro included the Freddie on his Sandwich King show on Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/il/chicago/calabria-imports.html#!

The first sandwich listed in the Thrillist article is from J.P. Graziano Grocery, which is a healthy walk from my office.

http://www.jpgraziano.com/

It's a small place with some outdoor seating, but has lots of character. 

I ordered the Will Special, as Thrillest recommended - wow!  Seriously one of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life - fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, hot giardiniera, Italian deli meats on really good fresh Italian bread. 

When I ordered the Will Special, the man behind the counter smiled.  I didn't see a Will Special on the menu, so maybe it's an "in the know" kinda thing.  When I was leaving, he asked if I had read "the article."  Guess I wasn't the first person there today for the sandwich.  Glad I discovered this place, though - will be back to try other things on the menu!
 

No comments: