Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Observations During a March Snowstorm


As I was driving to the train this morning, I saw the school bus that used to pick up my boys when they were in special ed preschool at our neighborhood public school (they now attend a private autism school).  I saw the mom stand there in the snow waving at the bus until she couldn’t see it anymore.  I saw the look on her face – hope, fear, vulnerability.  I remember all those emotions in the early days (I still experience those emotions, but I’m used to them now).  She reminded me of myself in the early days of our diagnosis.  My eyes filled with tears and I wanted to get out of the car, hug her and not tell her everything will be ok, because it won’t, but let her know it gets easier.  Everything we thought parenting would be, never will be, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t joy, love and beauty – there is, plenty of it.  There are also plenty of rough days, but we live in a different reality, and it truly can be wonderful.

No comments: