Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Basilica in Orlando


One thing  about Orlando that I want to mention –
We went to mass at the Basilica of the National  Shrine of Our Lady of the Universe in Orlando.  This is a beautiful church and grounds if you have time between park visits in Orlando. 
Sean made it all the way through mass with my brother and dad.  Todd was another story.  Sean wanted to sit up front, so they did – he loves to sing along and does well at church during the stretches of time where there is a lot of singing – he usually gets punchy during the homily.  Anyway, Todd & I sat in the back. 
Inevitably, an usher approached us.  She was actually very nice.  She tentatively asked, “is he handicapped?” I told her he has autism.  She said, “there just might be an issue with him blocking the aisles at communion.”  I was touched she didn’t just kick us out of church! After offertory, I brought him out in the lobby, as they didn’t have a cry room.  He was so loud and the sound was echoing big time, so I brought him outside.  We had a lovely stroll around the grounds.   That is, until he became obsessed with climbing off the footbridge into the creek below.  It was also terribly hot outside.  Seemed like forever before Sean, Dad and my brother came out! 
Here’s a link to the Basilica’s website: 

No comments: