Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

message from school

This morning, I received the following email from my kids' school:

**The Elim Christian School community offers our thoughts and prayers for the families of Newtown, Connecticut. We grieve with that community as colleagues, as parents, and as fellow Americans as they try to deal with this senseless tragedy. Like many of you, I’m sure, I cannot make any sense of this horrific situation. I’m confident we will hear more details about the how and why of this tragedy, but there is no real way to come to an understanding of this. And while I can’t understand it I can call on our God in heaven who promises in Hebrews 13:5, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

I also want to let you know that the safety and welfare of your children, our students, is our top priority. We have crisis policies and procedures in place, and we practice lock down drills twice yearly. In the next few weeks I plan to review our procedures with the administrative staff and with the local law enforcement agencies to make sure we are doing everything possible to keep students and staff safe. If your child has questions or concerns related to this incident please let us know and we will have one of our counselors speak with them.

Many of you know that Elim has a trained comfort dog named Abbi. Mr. Griffin, assistant principal for Crossroads, went with Abbi to Newtown so that Abbi can do what she is trained to do, and that is to comfort some of the people impacted by this tragedy. Please pray that Abbi will be a blessing to those who need her and pray for the children and families impacted by this terrible and violent act. Pray that somehow they might rest in the knowledge that our God is there with them in their sorrow.**
 
I'm sorry we live in a world where it is necessary for our children to practice lockdown drills.  I'm also glad the boys' school did what little they could to help an enormous situation. Little things mean a lot, as we continue to pray for those who continue to suffer and will continue to suffer for some time from what happened last week.