Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Kindergarten Transition

My older son just turned 5 and will officially be aging out of the early childhood program. I have been surprised by how intimidating the kindergarten transition process is.


I’ve developed a mistrust toward the school district, so prior to this process beginning, I read the entire 234-page PDF from the Illinois State Board of Ed entitled, “Educational Rights and Responsibilities: Understanding Special Education in Illinois.” I received this on a CD from our advocate at Easter Seals. I highly recommend it for any special ed parent. There is a wealth of information.

There’s been an ongoing issue with his difficulty functioning within a blended classroom. Our school district does not have self-contained nor blended special ed classrooms starting at the kindergarten level. I’m within my rights to insist he be admitted to a regular kindergarten classroom with a one-on-one aide as well as speech and occupational therapy, but it needs to be determined if this is best or if a private school would be best. There is a co-op available, but I visited this school and found the kindergarten classroom to be lower-functioning than where my son is at. I don’t believe the answer is to lower the bar simply because he has issues.

The initial transition meeting was positive. The team raved about his intellectual capability despite his behavioral issues. The one-on-one aide was working out beautifully and they seemed very encouraging as to the possibility that Sean could perhaps remain at his current school in a regular classroom with an aide and supports.

Then came the IEP this past week. I was informed the “honeymoon phase” is appearing to be over with his aide and his behavior has been poor. I feel his therapists “get” him, but the teacher this year…I don’t think she understands autism spectrum children. She always tells me how cute she thinks he is, yet in this meeting, I got the impression she was blaming or judging him (and indirectly me). I understand he needs to behave and pay attention, but he’s not just being a brat, this is part of his disorder. A common misconception with autism spectrum children is that they’re just rotten brats and people don’t understand that their outbursts are due to sensory issues, frustration, aspects of their medical problem.

I have appointments this week at two private schools that have autism programs. After feeling so dejected following the IEP, all I can do is hope that maybe one of these schools will be a good fit.

No comments: